Outpatient Parenteral Antimicrobial Therapy for Treatment of Complicated Intra-Abdominal Infections

SAN FRANCISCO, CA (October 4, 2013) – A multi-center retrospective review of 120 patients receiving intravenous antibiotics (IVAB) for complicated intra-abdominal infections (IAI) in a physician office infusion center (POIC) was conducted to determine the effectiveness of treatment in this setting. Patients were treated for a wide range of IAI, most commonly diverticulitis (34%) and abscesses (22%). Thirty-five of seventy-two patients had polymicrobial infections with resistance reported in thirty-one. The most commonly utilized IVAB were piperacillin/tazobactam (30%), ertapenem (17%) and ceftriaxone (12%). Cure was reported in fifty-nine (49%) patients and improvement in forty-five (38%) patients. No catheter infections occurred in any patients during the therapy, for an overall clinical success rate of 87%. Overall rates of cure and improvement were high in this population. Outpatient management of acute IAI is safe and effective with the potential to substantially reduce length of hospital stay and costs. To learn more, click here.

This study was presented at the 2nd annual IDWeek™. For a printed copy of this research poster study, please call 1.866.654.2451 or email [email protected].

Healix is the national leader in the delivery of parenteral services to medical facilities. The privately-held company is based in Sugar Land, Texas, and offers customizable, turn-key solutions to help healthcare providers offer streamlined infusion therapy and related care.

ABOUT IDWeek 2013
IDWeek 2013 is an annual meeting of the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA), the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA), the HIV Medicine Association (HIVMA) and the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society (PIDS). With the theme “Advancing Science, Improving Care,” IDWeek features the latest science and bench-to-bedside approaches in prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and epidemiology of infectious diseases, including HIV, across the lifespan. IDWeek 2013 took place October 2-6 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, California. For more information, visit www.idweek.org.

Lucinda J. Van Anglen, PharmD
Healix, Inc.
t: 281.295.4000
e: [email protected]

View All

Phase II and Phase III Studies

Healix regularly and actively supports Phase II and Phase III clinical trials in each of our specialty areas, including active studies in therapies for COVID-19, Multiple Sclerosis and Intestinal Bowel Disease.

For information on partnering with Healix on a study, please contact us.